This cold January winter has been making my heart yearn for travel and specifically traveling to ….Scandinavia. In honor of one of (if not the) best places in the entire world, January will consist of a couple words that we should definitely add to the English language. (We just need to learn how to pronounce them correctly first.)
1. Radljóst (Icelandic) :when there is enought light in a place for you to find your way around.
2. Forelsket (Norwegian) (n.):the euphoria you feel when you start falling in love with someone.
3. Gluggavedur (Icelandic) :literally “window weather”- the type of weather that is best appreciated indoors.
4. Arbejdsglaede (Danish) (n.) :when your work is a source of joy and happiness.
5. Fika (Swedish) (n.) :a coffee break between friends or colleagues, often accompanied by pastries.
February is the month where love is on everyone’s mind. In honor of February and more specifically Valentine’s Day, February’s words will be about love
1. Saudade (sf. Portuguese) :the feeling of longing for something or someone you love of lost.
2. Kistmet (Old Turkish) :fate, destiny.
3. Cafuné (Portuguese) :running your fingers through the hair of someone you love.
4. Thantophobia (n.) :the fear of losing someone you love.
5. Redamancy (n.) :the act of loving the one who loves you; a love returned in full.